St Mary’s Church
The spire of St Mary’s Church is visible all across the village. St Mary’s plays a key part in the village with many groups and activities. St Mary’s church hall is the key place for local events.The original Church of Our Blessed Ladye of Gorynge dated from about 1100 and was rebuilt with a tower in the 13th and 14th Centuries. David Lyons who owned Goring Hall paid for the church to be rebuilt in 1837.
Nikalaus Pevsner in the Sussex volume of his guide to Britsh Architecture says:
ST MARY. Rebuilt in 1837 by Decimus Burton, but as disappointingly limp as his other Gothic churches. Nobody would guess who the architect was. Inside, he kept the old arcades, retooled, and they and the thin plaster details make a pretty, uncomplicated match: late c12 with scalloped capitals and pointed single-chamfered arches.
One of the most striking sights in the Church is the Feibusch Mural high up on the chancel arch. This was designed in 1950, and finished after considerable controversy in 1954.
St Lawrence Church, Collingwood Road
Built in 1936 on land donated by the owners of Smugglers Farm, and rebuilt in 1966
St Richards Church, Sea Place
Originally in 1954 a dual purpose church and hall on the Maybridge estate in Collingwood Road. The present church alongside the hall was built in 1983.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- We Went to Compare Sheffield Student Lifestyles – Here’s What We Found - February 4, 2019
- Improve Your Small Business Online in Goring through SEO - September 20, 2018
- Reclining Garden Furniture is Perfect for Relaxing on the Goring By Sea Beach - February 2, 2018