The word that rhymes with ‘Goring’ is of course ‘Boring’. Never-the-less we like living here. There are undoubted good things:
- The beach and the sea
- The greensward along the front, for kites, ball games and barbecues
- Goring Gap, one very few places where the farm land comes down to the sea
- Ilex Avenue, a unique asset for nearly a mile between Goring and Ferring
- Highdown Gardens which flies a Green Flag recognising its beauty
- Highdown Saxon Fort, and the Millers Tomb
- Titnore Woods, ancient oaks in beautiful parkland
- Castle Goring, our Grade I listed building
- The South Downs
- fresh air, peace, quiet, easier driving, at least compared with living nearer London
- friendly people, good shops, schools, hospitals and services
- maintenence of a clean and tidy environment by the county and borough councils
But recently Worthing has been called “the most boring place”. Other people have also commented in this vein:
In 1971 the short-lived magazine Image stated: “Worthing is a fair sized town with a small town mentality. If a town has a personality, Worthing’s is that of a majestic middle-aged matron – wearing hot-pants”
In 1943 in a book by Dr CEM Joad, he described Worthing as: “a totally abominable place”. He was struck by its “purulent beastliness, it’s utter horror”. Adding for good measure: “The place is so much worse than I could have believed possible”.
Even Pevsner damns us with faint praise: “Worthing is an exasperating town. Put very briefly, it began by imitating Brighton, and ended up imitating Bournmouth, and the two seaside traditions have met head-on without benefit to either. The result is that architecturally it is full of brave beginnings and ignoble endings; socially it seems to have become the most genteel of Sussex resorts, without any of Bournmouths compensations. Yet at the same time it is both friendly and lively”.
A common description of Worthing is “costa geriatica”.
Will any one speak up for Worthing please?
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- We Went to Compare Sheffield Student Lifestyles – Here’s What We Found - February 4, 2019
- Improve Your Small Business Online in Goring through SEO - September 20, 2018
- Reclining Garden Furniture is Perfect for Relaxing on the Goring By Sea Beach - February 2, 2018